This year for the 4th of July I wanted to go down and do the Kaysville thing I grew up with. It turned into a jam-packed day. Dan and I took the kid down that morning and hit up the Kaysville Parade. I haven't been to that parade in probably about 5 years. It is apparently quite popular now. It was so packed in with people that we couldn't even get cell service. We had to park clear down by Nicholl's Road. Which by the way, who gave permission for all those houses to be built there? Lame. And though we were nearly an hour early, we were barely able to find a spot big enough for the three of us. It was clear back almost to the Davis High parking lot and it was only because some cute young family took pity on us and offered to skootch a bit. I'm not in love with parades really, but I do feel you need to hit at least one every summer or summer is incomplete. We took Atticus out to the road when the Davis band went by but other than that stayed clear back and let the kid explore the grass with his toes and show off how cute he was to the old lady behind us, both of which he enjoyed immensely. About 45 minutes into the parade my dad came by on his motorcycle to give the kid a quick kiss and drop off my little brother Jimmy, who stayed with us for the next 20 minutes before we all made the long trek back to the car. (We left early as we did not want to participate in the water fight portion of the parade.)
Also, another crazy crowded complaint, the poor people sitting on the curb couldn't even see for all the adults who went to stand out in the street to catch candy for their kids. Seriously? It's the 4th of July people. Let your kid get their own candy and if you're nervous to let them go off either watch them from your seat or don't bring them to a parade.
4th of July outfit.
Loves his boots
Watching the parade, or ya know, a tree or something.
Davis High Band.
See all the adults just standing in front of everyone?
Super crowded
The old lady behind us took this picture. She thought the whole parade
and everyone around was "Just so Americana!".
After we took Jimmy back home we headed to Bountiful for lunch with our friend Mark. Mark is a grown up now and graduated from living in Logan, as we have yet to do, and now works in Salt Lake. It was fun to see him. He and Dan talked forever while they ate their yummy pizzas from Arella's while I ate my cheese-less spaghetti and Atticus slept. Boy I miss dairy.
After that it was back to Farmington for a with Jake. Apparently Jake got a horse and we went and fed it some not-yet-ripe apples. I rode a horse once when I was about 10 and I rememeber feeding my Grandpa JR's horses once or twice when I was little, but I tell you what, this was about the scariest thing I've ever done. It was like those people who hate getting shots. I stuck my hand out stiff and then didn't even dare look as the horse came and took the apple from my hand. I nearly grabbed Dan and forced him to keep my hand out so I wouldn't pull away. I apparently need to spend more time with horses.
After Jake's it was down to the Bronson's for a BBQ. Atticus was a doll for everyone, Eli and Crew took great care of him and then of course naptime came and he was not having any of it. I was surprised by how good he had been all day with his schedule being thrown off so much. So he was due to be upset. Especially since it was seven o'clock and that's usually when we start his bed time routine.
Then back to Kaysville for the fireworks... The plan was to meet up with my parents and Jameson. Earlier at the parade, Jimmy had gestured in the general direction of where they had set up their blanket for the fireworks that night. We were running a little late as we had to hook up the Bronson's trailer for the move we were about to undergo and I was worried about parking with a huge trailer. So Dan dropped Atticus and I in the Davis parking lot and he went to go find parking. It was just after nine and guess what, remember at the parade, there were so many people my phone wasn't working? Ya, I should've thought of that and found out exactly where my parents were before arriving. Instead, I spent the next forty minutes or so wandering around a 50 yard radius with a crying, hungry baby not knowing where my husband was nor my parents and not being able to get ahold of either of them while it got darker and darker. I was on edge and ready to scream and cry. I finally ran into Melanie Gines. A girl I've known my whole life and miracle! Her phone was working! She called both my dad and Dan but their phones weren't working, so she sent texts letting them know where I was and then offered to let me come sit with her and her family and friends. I felt I should probably stay where I said I was, so declined. (Later we discovered Melanie was sitting about two blankets away from my parents) About a minute later though my dad and brother showed up and I lost it. I was so stressed. So then my brother went to a spot clear on the other side of the school to see if he could get better reception to call Dan, my dad went looking, and I actually recieved a few backed-up texts from Dan saying he was at a church. So I ran across the street to a church to look for him. In the mean time the fireworks started and I was feeling miserable that I wasn't with Dan or my kid. But then Jimmy found me again and informed me he'd found Dan. It took me a while to calm down but once I did all was well. What on earth did we do before cell phones? I hated feeling lost and powerless to the situation.
The fireworks were fun. Atticus was entranced. He didn't cry or make any sounds. Just did this...
After a while he mellowed and just watched calmly.
While eating his hands of course.
My mom brought her magic glasses. Funniest thing ever. But they do awesome things to the fireworks. You should try it.
Grandma, Grandpa, and Jimmy
That sums it up.




The Kaysville parade is way too crowded now! And I hate to say it but we were surrounded by "white trash" people who like pushed people to get candy and other lame stuff that was being thrown out. It didn't feel very patriotic where we were. Also I was at the fireworks so I could have rescued you! It's scary feeling lost, especially with a baby. Henry slept through it all!
ReplyDelete