So Thanksgiving is not my favorite holiday. The concept of being all thankful is great but to be honest, I'm not a turkey eater, and unless we were in Sun Valley, it generally seems like just another family dinner. There is the exception of a few times at Granny's house. Which, oh my, hilarious. I do Thanksgiving for one reason: Carrot Soup. My dad makes this amazing Citrus Carrot soup. The first time he made it was a Thanksgiving when I was deathly sick and it was all I could eat. One would think after such and experience I would never want to see that soup again. But oh no, I can't get enough. That's how good it is. It's pretty much carrots, oranges, and some onions. That's it.
So anyway, Thanksgiving happened. We went to my parents house with Stef, Kam, and all their kiddies. Dan was in charge of finding a nice quote about being thankful to kick off our dinner. He read a John F. Kennedy quote, in what I thought to be a pretty good impression of his voice. I at least knew he was impersonating a president. (Wow I just wrote principal then changed it to prophet before I could think of the right word.)
We had fun. I played lots of childish games and made some yummy pies (Raspberry Lemonade, and chocolate cheesecake with a raspberry glaze. Which was so yummy I wish I had eaten it all.) Of course when it came time to serve the raspberry lemonade pies (which were no bake) they somehow never set up. Plus I found one of them like this. (See the four fingerprints in the pie on the left? Ya, Oaklee enjoyed it and apparently it spilled too.)
My mother is famous for her multi-layered Jello (Never does it involve green flavor or carrots. Just deliciousness.) I believe it was Dayton's favorite of the night. He also enjoyed the fake potatoes he helped me stir. You could see in his eyes how upset he was when my mother took the bowl from the spot he placed them on the table. (Right in front of him.)
I don't think that Kyndi or Oaklee ate anything more than some rolls and their Jello. (Girls after my own heart.)
After dinner, grandpa took the kids out to sled. It was freezing and as soon as Oaklee and Dayton got their hands wet they were not happy.
After sledding, Oaklee and Dayton were ready for their second helpings and then we all had about nine different desserts to eat.
I just had to add this picture of my mom and Jersi because it looks so much like a picture of me and my Granny on my blessing day. She's smiling all happy at me and I'm screaming my guts out.
One of my favorite things of the day was discovering Dayton thinks Dan is James. Dayton wasn't even 18 months when James left so I don't even know how James is in his vocabulary but okay. (By the next day he was referring to him as Dan, James, or James-Dan. "Where James-Dan Charlie?")
Not liking Thanksgiving is a very Chandler thing to say.
ReplyDelete