The Bronsons

The Bronsons

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

It Did Exist

So I just want to set the record strait that the blizzard DID happen.  At least for a few hours between Garland and Logan.  Now most people say it didn't happen in Logan because we got just as much snow as any regular storm.  I will now cite Wikipedia (And yes, Wikipedia is legit.)

A blizzard is a severe storm condition characterized by low temperatures, strong winds, and heavy snow. By definition, the difference between blizzard and a snowstorm is the strength of the wind. To be a blizzard, a snow storm must have winds in excess of 35 miles per hour (56 km/h).[1] Additionally, blizzards must reduce visibility to 400 metres (1,300 ft) or less and must last for a prolonged period of time — typically three hours or more.

My drive home from school usually takes about 25-30 minutes.  It took me nearly an hour and a half that day.  (UHP was advising not to drive if you didn't have to and to avoid at all costs, one road, UT-30.  The road I was on.)  It was snowing hard, and yes, that is normal.  But it was also about ten degrees outside.  And then there was the wind.  It was strong enough to blow my car and others all over the road and then you'd go sliding all over trying to correct.  The snow was falling so hard and being blown so much that most of the drive I could hardly even see the lights of the car in front of me.  Even when stopped behind it, I couldn't tell you what color it was.  The wind had already blown more snow over the tracks of the cars in front before I reached them and so a good part of the drive I was guessing where the road was.  Sometimes I could see the ruts they recently made on the road (the kind that make noise as you drive over them) because they made them so deep that you could kind of see the bumps in the snow that lay on top of the ruts.  I passed many cars that had slid off the road.  (And probably more I couldn't see because the snow was so thick)  I went sliding lots of times and twice where I barely regained control before I went off the road as well.  We went 20 mph most of the time.  Though I did get up to thirty once.   I didn't know where I was until I reached the first stoplight in Logan on 10th West, only 12 blocks from my house.  Visibility cleared up a bit then as buildings were blocking the wind some.  And then I could see cars sliding off the road.  I even watched a suburban do a complete 180 clear across the road, and there I was in my tiny car.  I did eventually make it home and was glad to watch the storm for the next four or five hours from the comfort of my own house.

So yes, you nonbelievers, that was a blizzard.  It did happen.


Dan out shoveling the next day. (Oh and the footprints across our yard?  Those came from our neighbor we've never met around 9:00 in the morning to tell us to shovel our sidewalk because it wasn't done yet and we didn't do it enough last year.  She didn't even realize we didn't live here last year.  She's a real pleasant lady.)
 See how much he's shoveling from under the carport behind the car?  The wind does that in blizzards.  Not regular snowstorms.

2 comments:

  1. It was definitely a blizzard in Logan! And freezing cold! I think people just overreacted at how long it would last and how they thought the power would go out and how we would be snowed in for days! I would've cried driving home in those conditions! I'm glad you made it through the blizzard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Shar. It did happen. I'm right there with ya. Too many people have a misunderstanding of what a blizzard is. I quoted that same definition to numerous people. :) I had to drive in it as well. It wasn't as bad down here in SLC as it was for you, I'm sure... but it was still scary!!

    ReplyDelete