So as a child I was not one to get all excited over Barbies. I think I may have had one or two, or they were just my older sister's or more likely, my mother's old Barbies. However I wasn't interested and they remained in the 'Detective" briefcase in the musty Barbie cupboard.
Jennifer Ostler was not okay with this knowledge and my so called deprivation, when she learned of it in high school. According to her, Barbies are an essential part of any proper young girl's life. (Whatever, I had a doll house, a Fisher Price kitchen, and plenty of Little People. I read Pippi Longstocking, Little Women, and Ramona Quimby. And I played outside.) She was devastated for me, for my lack of Barbie playing. And so from there on out, if it was a birthday or Christmas, I got a new beautiful Barbie to complete my girly childhood. They pretty much sat on a shelf in my room looking pretty and entirely disproportionate and unrealistic. That is until a couple days ago, when I played Barbies for my first time.
It was Thanksgiving and my 3-year old niece decided to name one Juice and the other grape. Mine were named Princes Consuela and Barbie. They sang some songs like ABC's, the Aggie fight song, and Strait Up by Paula Abdul. They danced on their heads and made their hair go crazy. They spoke in high-pitched voices. It was pretty intense and lasted nearly twelve minutes.
My girly childhood is now complete. At least according to Jennifer.
This is when they were all smooching.
Okalee is holding Juice (she's 36 years old) and grape. I have Princess Consuela which is not a Jennifer Barbie. I believe she's one of Stefanie's. (As is the baby I am holding.) Oaklee was showing me their hair. "Oh no! My hair is just going so crazy!"
There are many things I love about this post... the fact that Jennifer bought you Barbies, the reminder of awesome books like Ramona, the names of the barbies, and that you are making a kissy smooch face while the barbies are smooching.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE that you have so much to blog about when my kids are around. PS I love the picture in your other post of you and Dayton sleeping. Are you really sleeping or faking it? And boy his arms look chubby.
ReplyDeleteP.P.S. K-a-m
You are welcome! :)
ReplyDelete