The Bronsons

The Bronsons

Monday, July 19, 2010

Hobos


So this is where we slept on Saturday night.

Not in one of those lovely brown chairs.  Not even stretched across them.  Right there.  In front of them.  My face squished in sleep, on that floor.  Actually it was on one of my efy shirts which was on my Minnie Mouse pajama pants, on Dan's library book, on the floor.  Amazing what complete exhaustion allows for.  And that marble floor... perfect for one's hip comfort.

This is the Zaragoza bus/train station.  Where, after our Ryanair flight (from Paris) was its usual charming self and packed us like cattle through a corral onto their plane and hour late, we got stuck after missing the last train back to Logrono.  Oh but don't worry, as the next day was Sunday, the next available transport to Logrono left at 2:30.  PM.  We were there for 17 hours.  

We wandered out once to find food just before midnight and found a McDonald's still open.  Last time I ate more than just ice cream there, Camille Jasmine Record was there with us.  (putting me at about nine years old.)  It wasn't too bad.  Of course they're a whole lot fancier out here.

Despite the fact that either the recorded voice announcing departing buses, or the sheer discomfort of my bed, woke me up every 20 to 40 minutes, I slept from about one in the morning until seven.  Dan possibly faired worse as, while he claims he never heard the recorded voice, the place was quite drafty and when you're half asleep, drafty equals freezing cold.  (I had a sweatshirt)  

To entertain ourselves the next day we pretty much stared at each other while Matt slept (He and Hailey were with us)  When Matt woke up, we tried to teach them to play hearts.  Dan considers himself pretty good since he learned in Sun Valley.  However, Matt was completely out of it, which made for the best game I've ever experienced.  It was a definite had to be there situation but even writing this now, I'm laughing.  The guy could not grasp any of the concepts of the game and the three of us were hysterical laughing at him.  At least three times we caught on to the fact that he was just putting down whatever card was next in his hand despite it being in a completely different suit than what was being played (I think he did this for about 90% of the rounds we played) and each time we realized he was doing this we'd explain, no, you have to play the suit being played or no you don't want to just throw out the queen of spades first thing when no one has even played any spades yet.  And each time his response was, "What?  I don't have to get rid of my cards in order?  Wait, I can play this card?  This just blows my mind!  I have to figure out which card to play now!"  etc.  And he was completely serious.  Or he'd try to decide for five minute whether to put down a low card or a high card and then we'd find out that meant should I put down a four or a five.  He even organized his cards into their suits by putting them into piles, facing up for all to see.  One day we'll have to teach him to play when he's awake.

Waiting for 2:30 to roll around.

Anyway, we did eventually make it to 2:30 and took the train home.  It was totally worth it for the experience and for the ability to see Paris.

1 comment: